St. Cuthbert's Parish Church, Seascale

This organ is a fine instrument by William Hill & Son. Built around 1868 for St. Bees Priory, it was moved to Seascale in 1897. It is now maintained by Harrison & Harrison, who undertook major restoration work in 2001. In 1999, the organ was recognised by the British Institute of Organ Studies Historic Organs Certificate Scheme. Only 400 to 500 organs, out of an estimated 40,000 in the UK, are expected to be deserving of this certificate, which confirms the importance of its musical and technical qualities, and that it is worthy of conservation and sensitive repair.

The organ has its own website.

Specification

Pedal Great
Open Wood
Sub Bass
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
16
16
Bourdon
Open Diapason
Dulciana
Stopped Diapason
Principal
Wald Flute
Twelfth
Fifteenth
Swell to Great
16
8
8
8
4
4
3
2
Swell
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Principal
Fifteenth
Mixture
Clarinet
Cornopean
Oboe
8
8
4
2
II
16
8
8


The Console


The Swell Pipework


The Great Pipework


Back to Organs Page