St. Bees Priory Organ

This organ is probably the most famous in Cumbria. It was completed in 1899 and was the last major instrument built by "Father" Henry Willis. The specification was designed by F J Livesey and Lt. Col. George Dixon and has 40 speaking stops on three manuals, but a few were never installed. (indicated in a weak font below). Unusually, the lower manual is a Solo division. It uses tubular pneumatic action and was the first parish church organ in the country to have "programmable" pistons. The instrument contains ranks originally built for Lincoln and Gloucester cathedrals and the reeds are widely considered to be among the finest in the country.

The instruments remains in good working condition, and well maintained. Each year, a series of celebrity recitals is held. Recent years have seen visits from Timothy Hone, David Dunnett, Paul Hale, James Lancelot, Ian Hare, Christopher Herrick, Roger Fisher, David Sanger, Gordon Stewart, and many other well known international performers.

St. Bees maintains a website about the organ and other village facilities.

St. Bees Priory St.Bees Console

Specification

Pedal Great
Double Open Bass
Subbass
Open Diapason
Open Bass
Flute
Octave
Double Ophicleide
Ophicleide
Solo to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
32
16
16
16
8
8
32
16
Double Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Hohl Flote
Geigen
Open Diapason
Wald Flote
Principal
Twelfth
Fifteenth
Cornet
Tromba
Clarion
Solo Suboctave to Great
Solo to Great
Swell to Great
16
8
8
8
8
4
4
2 2/3
2
III
8
4
Swell Solo
Lieblich Gedeckt
Open Diapason
Gemshorn
Flageolet
Mixture
Double Bassoon
Vox Humana
Tremulant
Oboe
Contra Posaune
Cornopean
Clarion
8
8
4
2
III
16
8

8
16
8
4
Double Salicional
Viole d'Amour
Voix Celestes
Claribel Flute
Concert Flute
Harmonic Piccolo
Sharp Mixture
Orchestral Clarinet
Tremulant
Tuba Mirabilis
Octave
Swell to Solo
16
8
8
8
4
2
II
8

8

Back to Organs Page